Some organizations choose to use the Username as the key field for updating existing Registrations, while others use the Profile Unique ID or External ID. Note the details below on precedence of key fields used for import.
Reference the help guide for detailed instructions on importing Registrations from an external file: https://community.certain.com/kbase/registration/import_registrations.htm
As a supplement, see below for additional notes and considerations.
Prepare the Import File
To update Registrations, you must have a key identifier field for the system to recognize an existing Registration. The options for key identifier field are Profile Unique ID, External ID, and Username. If there is no match found to an existing record using one of these three fields, it will assume that the line item in the import file represents a new record, and create a new Profile and Registration in Certain.
You can locate these fields on existing records from the Registration (External ID) and Profile (Profile Unique ID):
The Profile will show the Username:
You can also run a Registration Report and include these fields as columns in the output:
Note: If multiple key fields are included in the import file, the import process will use only one key field to identify existing records. The following is the order of precedence of key fields for the import operation:
- If the import file includes a Profile ID, use Profile ID.
- If the import file does NOT include a Profile ID, but does include an External ID, use External ID.
- If the import file does NOT include a Profile ID or an External ID, but does include a Username, use Username.
There may be instances when you want to update the External ID or Username of your Attendee(s). If that is the case, you must follow these guidelines when creating an import file:
- Updating the Username via import
- You MUST include an existing Profile Unique ID or existing External ID in the import file.
- Updating the External ID via import
- You MUST include an existing Profile Unique ID in the import file.
- You cannot run an import to update the External ID using the Username as a Key Field.
While there are no minimum required fields for importing new Registrations, our best practice recommendation is to include, at minimum, First Name, Last Name and Email. For updating existing Registrations or importing existing Profiles, Profile Unique ID is the minimum required field for matching to existing records. See above for additional key field options.
Import the File
- Select Import from the Event dashboard.
- Select Import/Update Registrations in the import wizard.
- Specify the prepared file, ensuring that the file is formatted as tab delimited text, and includes only those fields to be imported.
- Map Data Fields for import, ensuring that the order matches with the column headers.
- Select Import Options.
- Confirm Upload Parameters.
- Commit the upload and finish the process through the import wizard.
- You will receive an email when the import is complete.
Please sign in to leave a comment.